“We are pleased to announce that Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex welcomed their firstborn child in the early morning on May 6, 2019. Their Royal Highnesses’ son weighs 7 lbs. 3 oz.,” the family announced via Instagram. “The Duchess and baby are both healthy and well, and the couple thanks members of the public for their shared excitement and support during this very special time in their lives.”
Harry, 34, gave a gushing interview on TV after his son’s arrival. “Meghan and myself had a baby boy early this morning, a very healthy baby boy!” he told reporters, a huge smile plastered on his face. “Mother and baby are doing incredibly well. It’s been the most amazing experience I could ever possibly imagine! How any woman does what they do is beyond comprehension. But we’re both absolutely thrilled!”
The prince added that the newborn was a little overdue, and that the first-time parents are still thinking about names. “For us, I think we’ll be seeing you in probably two days’ time as planned, as a family to be able to share it with you guys, so everyone can see the baby!” he revealed of when the world will meet the new little prince.
“I’m so incredibly proud of my wife,” a glowing Harry emphasized. “As every father and parent would ever say, you know, your baby’s absolutely amazing, but this little thing is absolutely to die for! So I’m just over the moon!”
The palace also released a statement after the little boy’s arrival. “The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duck and Duchess of Cambridge, Lady Jane Fellowes, Lady Sarah McCorquodale and Earl Spencer have been informed and are delighted with the news,” the statement on the website read. “The Duchess’s mother, Doria Ragland, who is overjoyed by the arrival of her first grandchild, is with Their Royal Highnesses at Frogmore Cottage.”
There was no mention of Markle’s estranged father, Thomas Markle, in the statement.
Friends of the former Hollywood lighting director said he’s “heartbroken” to learn the news with the rest of the world. “He’s as devastated as any grandfather would be who isn’t being given the chance to see his grandchild,” one pal of his dished to The National ENQUIRER. “But the heartbreak is even more intense for him as it is going to be one of the most famous children in the world.”
The father and daughter have not been in touch since he ditched her wedding at the last minute.
Ahead of giving birth, the Duchess of Sussex, who married Prince Harry in 2018, reportedly chose to turn her nose up at the fancy-pants Lindo Wing at London’s St. Mary’s Hospital, where Duchess Kate Middleton gave birth to Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis.
“There was a lot of pressure on Meghan and Harry to use the royal favorite Lindo Wing,” a palace insider had told The ENQUIRER. “But I’m told Meghan dug her heels in and retorted, ‘This is our baby, not yours … butt out!’”
As The ENQUIRER previously reported, the American duchess had planned to have a non-traditional birth for her first baby.
“Meghan is set to bring her child into the world at the vegan-friendly Mulberry Suite at the Frimley Park Hospital near their new home, Frogmore Cottage,” a palace insider previously told us.
The duchess also planned to use yoga and hypno-birthing techniques, and to skip any drugs during birth. “Meghan has totally converted Harry to her New Age ideas,” an insider told The ENQUIRER. “[She] wants to shut out the world and have just her and Harry — and her mother, Doria, who’s flying over from Los Angeles — welcoming their little prince or princess.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are also hellbent on making sure their little one doesn’t grow up to be a royal pain. The couple is planning to “bring up children who know the values of normal things in life,” royal contributor Omid Scobie previously told Us Weekly. “Meghan will take her kids on the subway. They’ll have chores and jobs one day. They won’t be spoiled.”