The man who assassinated Robert F. Kennedy at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles nearly 50 years ago was denied parole for the 15th time — and insisted: “Legally speaking, I’m not guilty of anything!”
Sirhan still had the support of one person before the board, though — and it was a former victim!
Paul Schrade, 91, who was wounded by the assassin during the shooting, made an appearance for the first time during one of Sirhan’s hearings.
Paul said there was a second gunman on the scene — and told Sirhan: “I forgive you for shooting me!”
That didn’t impress the parole board, who was meeting with Sirhan for the first time since 2011 — when the commissioners decided that Sirhan had never shown sufficient remorse for the crime.
Things clearly hadn’t changed, with Sirhan saying in his latest appearance: “If you want a confession, I can’t make it now.”
Sirhan, now 71, shot Kennedy just hours after he won the California Democratic presidential primary on June 5, 1968. He later recorded a confession while in police custody.
The assassin had been arrested at the scene of the shooting with a gun in his hand. He said “Yes, sir” when asked on the witness stand during his 1969 trial if he had shot Kennedy.
He has said for several years that he has no memories of shooting Kennedy — and told the parole board: “It’s not that I’m making light of it. I’m responsible for being there.”
In 1982, Sirhan told the parole board: “I sincerely believe that if Robert Kennedy were alive today, I believe he would not countenance singling me out for this kind of treatment.”