In the trial of accused murder mom CASEY ANTHONY, meter reader ROY KRONK who discovered Caylee’s remains took the stand. 

His contradictory testimony baffled many observers. In the wooded area where volunteers from Texas Equusearch discovered nothing, Kronk found Caylee’s skull and called cops.

First, he claimed he didn’t touch the bag but under cross examination, he differed from his original testimony and 911 calls saying he poked his meter stick through the skull and lifted it

He confirmed the bones were human by using his meter reader stick to tilt the skull backwards.

"I was standing behind it so I was looking at it from behind. I still didn't think it was real so I gently took it  and put it in the right eye socket,” Kronk said before the packed courtroom.

“That was a really horrific thing for me to find obviously," Kronk said.

In opening statements, Casey’s defense suggested that Kronk tampered with the 2-year-old's remains and may have moved the corpse in hopes of claiming a cash reward.

Defense attorney Jose Baez hinted at that motive during questioning but Kronk denied it. 

As The ENQUIRER reported previously Caylee’s remains were found by Kronk near the Anthony family home in a wooded area off of Suburban Drive on Dec. 11, 2008, six months after she disappeared.

Along with the toddler's remains were duct tape, a Winnie the Pooh blanket, canvas bags, black plastic trash bags and a Gatorade bottle with a syringe.

Kronk called authorities three times over several days, but they found nothing at the time.

"I saw an object that looked a little odd to me," Kronk testified Tuesday. "I told them I saw an object that looked like a skull."

Defense attorney Cheney Mason asked Kronk if he touched the suspicious object or moved it when he saw it in August.

"I never was closer than 30 feet to that bag," Kronk said.

Kronk was with two co-workers. The two other meter men spotted a dead rattlesnake and were more interested in that, never looking at the skull.

The co-worker didn't think Kronk was serious about a skull because he didn't bring it up again after the men found the snake.

For many in the rural South, a dead rattler makes for tasty eats.

Refrigerated, the snake was later confiscated by police, Kronk testified.