Mark Harmon plays head-slapping Special Agent Jethro Gibbs on CBS’ long-running hit “NCIS,” but way before he became a naval silver fox, the hunk was a sought-after sex symbol — and portrayed one of the country’s most terrifying criminals!
Here are 10 things you don’t know about this all-American boy, who’s had a beer-filled past, but escaped living a life full of vice!
1) He was a starting quarterback at UCLA in 1972 and 1973.
2) Mark played infamous serial killer Ted Bundy in the 1986 TV miniseries “The Deliberate Stranger.”
3) He’s been married to Mindy from “Mork & Mindy” — Pam Dawber — since 1987.
4) He was named Sexiest Man Alive in 1986 … for playing hot doc Robert Caldwell on “St. Elsewhere!”
5) He was the face of Coors beer in the late ‘80s. 6) He was considered to replace Don Johnson on “Miami Vice” when the feisty heartthrob got into a salary fight with producers. “He’s an All-American, clean-shaven catnip for women,” a source said at the time.
7) Mark learned sign language for his role on the police drama “Reasonable Doubts,” where he co-starred with Oscar-winning deaf actress Marlee Matlin. He uses it on “NCIS,” too.
8) He worked as a carpenter before becoming an actor.
9) Real-life hero Mark rescued a trapped teen from a burning wrecked car in 1996. “You just react,” he says. “That’s all you do.”
10) He was part owner of the San Bernardino Spirit, a minor-league baseball team.