BATTLING MICKEY ROONEY LEGAL WAR

Published on: September 15, 2011
Photography by: AFP via Getty
BATTLING MICKEY ROONEY LEGAL WAR

Hollywood legend MICKEY ROONEY slams stepson with elder abuse in blistering lawsuit.

Attorneys for Rooney, the former MGM child star and frequent Judy Garland costar, now 90, filed a lawsuit today in Los Angeles Superior Court on behalf of the famed actor. 

The lawsuit claims that his stepson, Chris Aber, financially and verbally abused Mickey over a ten year period, leaving Rooney financially drained and emotionally worn from bouts of depression.

Attorneys from Holland & Knight brought the lawsuit -- claiming elder abuse, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and misappropriation of Rooney’s name and likeness -- against Aber and his wife Christina, as well as two business associates Cindy Smith  -- and Jessie Heuer who ran Mickey’s official web site.

As The ENQUIRER reported previously in February the court issued a restraining order against the Abers and appointed a conservator for Rooney, age 90.

 “For years I suffered silently. I couldn’t muster the courage to seek the help I knew I needed. Even when I tried to speak up, I was told to be quiet. It seemed like no one believed me,” Mickey described his plight in special testimony before the Senate Special Committee earlier this year.

“Clearly fame does not insulate an individual from the trauma and neglect of elder abuse, as Mickey Rooney’s case vividly demonstrates,” Mickey’s attorney Bruce S. Ross of Holland & Knight said.

“Mickey was exploited by a close relative in whom he placed his trust and looked to for guidance.

“If a person of Mickey Rooney’s stature and profile can be victimized, there are untold numbers of less fortunate seniors who are similarly being abused in this country.”