ROYAL WEDDING WON'T BE 3-D

Published on: February 8, 2011
ROYAL WEDDING WON'T BE 3-D

Buckingham Palace thwarts Loopey Rupey's plans to telecast the Royal Wedding of PRINCE  WILLIAM and KATE MIDDLETON in eye-blistering 3-D.
 
Buckingham Palace has ruled out much ballyhooed plans to broadcast Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding in 3D, saying the new medium is way too new (despite being around for over 50 years) and may prove a distraction from the main event.
 
The technical demands of additional cameras within the small space available in Westminster Abbey and the limited audience who would be able to watch in 3D are believed to be behind the Royal decision.
 
That and the necessity for special makeup and lenses to hide blemished Knights of the Realm in all their in-bred toothiness.
 
Rupert Murdoch's Sky TV, which launched its own 3D channel along with HBO and others, had hoped the April 29 wedding would prove to be a must-see headline event attracting new subscribers and forcing die-hard Royals watchers to buy new 3-D sets.
 
In an email to the BBC, ITV and Sky News, Patrick Harrison, the press secretary to the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, said the decision was regretful, but had been made in consultation with the couple and with the officials at Westminster Abbey, where the ceremony will be held.
 
"I'm afraid I have to say that we have decided not to progress with 3D coverage of the service on this occasion," Harrison told media.
 
"There are a number of reasons for this, most notably the additional camera footprint in the abbey, the relatively small (albeit growing) audience for 3D, and our desire to not be distracted away from negotiating and facilitating the optimal 2D, radio, photographic and online coverage of the day."
 
"Of course we do not rule out facilitating 3D at some point in the future," Harrison added, giving rise to internet rumors of a 3D televised live Royal birth and/or divorce proceedings in the future.