The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office is reopening its investigation into the mysterious death of NATALIE WOOD after 30 years!
As The ENQUIRER reported previously Natalie drowned in 1981 while yachting with hubby actor Robert Wagner and her last costar Christopher Walken on the boat Splendour off Catalina Island near the California coast, authorities told media.
Homicide investigators are taking a fresh look at the 30 year old mystery after they were contacted by people claiming they had "additional information" about the drowning, the sheriff's department said in a statement.
Authorities didn't provide further details late Thursday
A news conference will be held Friday at 11 AM.PST (2 p.m. ET).
The ENQUIRER has been following the efforts by the late star’s sister Lana Wood and the yacht’s Captain Dennis Darven who lobbied the Sheriff’s office to reopen the case.
An online petition consisting of thousands of signatures imploring the LA Sherriff’s Office to reopen the case was recently presented to authorities.
Davern broke his long silence with a detailed account in "Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour," a book he co-wrote with pal Marti Rulli which was published in September 2009.
Robert Wagner's publicist Alan Nierob issued a statement that the actor's family "fully support the efforts of the LA County Sheriff's Dept. and trust they will evaluate whether any new information relating to the death of Natalie Wood Wagner is valid, and that it comes from a credible source or sources other than those simply trying to profit from the 30 year anniversary of her tragic death."
DEVELOPING….SEE PREVIOUS ENQUIRER coverage BELOW!