COPS: ROBERT WAGNER NOT A SUSPECT IN NATALIE DEATH

Published on: November 18, 2011
Photography by: Ron Galella/WireImage
COPS: ROBERT WAGNER NOT A SUSPECT IN NATALIE DEATH

After suddenly reopening the NATALIE WOOD case, Los Angeles County sheriff's detective says her husband ROBERT WAGNER is not a suspect in the 1981 tragedy.

Lt. John Corina said at a press conference that new information is substantial enough to take a closer look.

As The ENQUIRER reported previously Natalie’s body was found floating off a Southern California island.  The couple had been on a boating excursion with Natalie’s “Brainstorm” co-star Christopher Walken.

The LA County Medical Examiner’s office had ruled the star’s death an accidental drowning.

Lt. Corina was asked if Wagner is a suspect and the detective said no.

The police news conference follows in the wake of the yacht’s captain, Dennis Davern, said on the “Today” show that he lied to investigators 30 years ago about Wood's death.

Davern also blamed Wagner for her drowning.

His bombshell claims were first reported by The ENQUIRER in 2009 as the basis of his book written with Marti Rulli “Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour”.

The police are calling the re-opened case a "homicide investigation".

SEE PREVIOUS COVERAGE BELOW